The title of the diploma thesis is “A Comparison of the Analysis of the Football Play of the German National Football Team in the Attack at the World Cup 2010 in South Africa and Brazil 2014”. We have identified the characteristics of the style of play and the differences between the variables. We analysed 7 matches from the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, where Germany reached third place and 7 matches from the 2014 World Cup in Brazil, where Germany became the world champion.
In South Africa they played in group D with Ghana, Australia and Serbia. They placed first in the group and faced England, Argentina, Spain and Uruguay over the course of the World Cup. In Brazil, they played in group G, where they faced Ghana, Portugal and the United States of America. They reached first place in the group and then beat Algeria, France and Brazil, finally facing Argentina in the finals.First, we defined the variables and made the forms based on which we then analysed the matches. We only analysed the game of the German national team in attack.
The results of the analysis of the German national team attacking play are following:
- The German national team mostly used continuous attacking play. In South Africa, 70% of all attacking plays, and in Brazil, 74% of all attacking plays.
- The German team had more ball possession than their opponents at both World Cups. In South Africa around 51% and in Brazil for about 57% of the time.
- The German national team completed more successful passes at the World Cup in Brazil.
- Germany scored more goals, considering chances, in Brazil in 2014 than in South Africa in 2010.
- In 2010, the highest number of goals were achieved after an attacking play through the middle, whereas in 2014 most goals were scored from the wing position. In both World Cups however, most goals were scored within the penalty area.
- Most goals were scored from the pass from the wing position and the continuous attack.
- In the case of shots on target, in Brazil, 2014, a greater percentage of shots went on target
than in South Africa 2010.
- In 2010 the number of chances created from an attacking play through the middle and off the wing position were equal in number. In 2014 however, most were created off the wing position. In 2010 we saw more chances in the penalty area, whereas in 2014, outside the penalty area.