In villages situated in the foothills of the Gorjanci, 3 typical old wooden houses were chosen, and construction particularities of their wooden parts described. The Hribar house in Dolž is built on top of a stable, and its lower part is made of stone. The walls in the upper wooden part of "the house" (central dwelling place) are made of hewn beech beams joined with a cross binding. The walls of the doorway are made of sawn beech boards, connected with grooved columns in the corners and intermediate one in the middle of the longer wall. The Milan house in Dolž is partially built on top of a cellar. Its basement part is made of stone, while the upper part is wooden. The frame of the woodwork is made of sawn beech boards, joined in corners in 2 different ways. Boards in the corners of "the house" are connected with a crossbinding, whereas those in the doorway with a grooved corner column. Previous dendrochronological analyses told us that the house was likely built in 1863, and renovated in 1899. The Režek house in Mirna Peč, built in 1925, represents a later type, and it is partially built on top of a cellar. The basic floor beams (pad and binding) in the woodwork are made oak. The walls are composed of sawn pine boards, in the corner columns wedged with a groove. Corners and intermediate groove columns and their small handles are made of beech. The roofings of all 3 houses are also made of beech. Originally, they were straw-covered, but were, long ago, replaced by concrete tiles. 2 old craftsmen informed us that wood for different constructions was sawn in November. The wood was hewn and sawn in the desired shape in spring. Then it was stored until building started, which most frequently took place in autumn. The carpenters first built the frame beside the planned site in order to connect the elements and make the bindings. The frame was later disassembled and erected again on the precisely planned site, where the ceiling and roofing were added as well. The roofing was, furthermore, covered with thatch. The wood was obtained from privately owned forests. For the exposed parts oak wood was used, for framing and roofing beech, while in the 20th Century pinewood was mostly preferred.